Breakfast seems to be a challenge for most of us - we're juggling too many things and running out the door to get to work, drop the kids off at school, get to our doctor's appointment - whatever it is these constant morning commitments keep us from properly fueling our bodies for the day.
I love planning ahead and making something for myself that I can grab as I'm running out the door. I love a breakfast that has lots of protein, healthy fats, and vegetables so I know that I'm getting my micronutrients in and satiating my appetite. When we consume things like cereal, a bagel, a muffin, etc., our bodies burn through those carbohydrates quickly and we're left "searching" for more. By swapping one of those quick fixes for these eggn muffins, I find that I am energized and ready to take on the day.
I also like to sneak superfoods into my meals, so I added Turmeric and Nutritional Yeast into this recipe. First of all, it adds a slight cheesy spice to the flavor and helps to round out the mix. But more importantly, are what these superfoods can do for you!
- Turmeric is a very powerful antioxidant, often found in curry. It is a natural anti-inflammatory food, which means that it helps your body fight foreign invaders. Low levels of inflammation are believed to be linked to many chronic diseases and illnesses. It is also known to possibly improve brain functioning, decrease risk of heart disease, and so much more. The only thing to note with Turmeric is that our bodies have trouble absorping it so pairing with black pepper is recommended to aid in absorption.
- Nutritional Yeast is dairy, gluten, sugar, and soy free and often takes the place of cheese in recipes! It is filled with viamins and minerals, including Vitamin-B and riboflavin. Due to the vitamin-B, nutritional yeast has been known to provide an energy boost! It is also said to support the immune system, support nail/skin/hair growth, and is a good source of folic acid, too!
Aside from being a wonderful complete meal, they're also SO easy to make. If you have 10 minutes, you have time to make breakfast for the week!!
- 1 dozen eggs (free range, organic if possible)
- 1c fresh spinach
- 1/4c diced peppers & onion
- 2 large asparagus, diced
- 1/2 green zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp pink sea salt
- Option to add in any other vegetables you'd like!
- Coconut oil to line muffin pan, or muffin cups if you'd prefer
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until completely blended
- Prep muffin pan
- Evenly pour mixture into muffin cups and try to get equal amounts of veggies in each an alternate method is to crack an egg into each muffin cup and sprinkle 1/12 of the seasonings and whisk, then add vegetables into the egg
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool on baking rack, then store in fridge or freezer
- Can be reheated in oven or pan, time permitting!