Sometimes we just want pasta – and we should have what we want! However, I don’t eat grains nor does gluten agree with me so I opt for something plant based and as unprocessed as possible.
Zucchini is amazing, as it’s mainly comprised of water – over 90% water!! Which makes it a great source of energy and a low calorie food. Not to mention you can have more volume in your meal with zucchini. It also contains minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, fiber, vitamin C, and riboflavin and vitamins such as B6, A, K, E, zinc, and iron. Still not convinced? Remember the thing you love most about pasta is really all the goodness that goes with it – veggies, sauce, etc.!
For this, all you’ll need is a need pan, spiralizer, and food processor or blender!
Ingredients for Pasta:
- 1 large green zucchini or 2 medium zucchini
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 large Crimini mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ tsp. sea salt to add at end as desired
- Option to add in other vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, peas, carrots, etc.
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1c sunflower seeds (or cashews if you prefer; will be creamier)
- 1c filtered water
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼- ½ c nutritional yeast
- In a medium pan, heat up some coconut oil or olive oil
- In a bowl, combine seeds or nuts and filtered water and let sit
- Add diced onion & garlic to pan on medium-low heat and let brown
- Spiralize your zucchini
- Add mushroom (and any other veggies) to the pan and allow to soften for a few minutes
- While those are softening, add water and seed (or nut) mixture to food processor and add in the garlic, salt, and nutritional yeast & puree until smooth and creamy
- Add zucchini to pan, using tongs to mix up and brown for about 2-3 minutes max
- Remove from heat and serve!! You’ll have a ton of extra sauce so use as much as you want, and save some for another meal as well!